Monday, February 1, 2010

Well, That's Quite A Surprise.


So a couple of years ago ... well ... more than a couple, actually. It was at least five. I think. I don't remember exactly ...

Anyhow, about five years ago, back when I used to work part-time in indie film development, I managed to snag an Co-Producer credit on a little movie called Runaway.

No, not the Tom Selleck vs. Little Robot Spiders movie where he sticks the grenade in Gene Simmons' mouth and pulls the pin. Awesome though that was, I didn't work on that movie. Though, come to think of it, I really wish I had. That would have been pretty bad ass.

But I digress ... this Runaway was a tense little mind-bender of a thriller that actually garnered some positive attention on the festival circuit.

Unfortunately though, it failed to attract any bidders from the theatrical release or DVD markets. So it sat on a shelf.

And then, as happens all the time in the indie world, the production company kind of imploded. And that was that. I really thought the movie would never see the light of day.

Well, happily, it seems I was wrong.

Somehow it's managed to get released on DVD. Available now!



Overall, I didn't have much at all to do with the actual production. My Co-Producer credit was presumably gifted unto me because I championed the script in the early days (plucking it from the enormous pile of godawful dreck we routinely received), and because (with the vital assistance of Messrs Bill Elsman and Scott Duffy) I eventually got it into the hands of Aaron Stanford, who ended up playing the hell out of the lead role. He rocked it. Hard. Even better than I'd hoped, actually.

Now before you ask ... no. I don't get a penny from sales of this thing. Actually, I don't even know what company is putting this out. Hell, I didn't get any kind of fee as an Co-Producer five years ago. (That's kind of how things work in the indie film world. Credits are what they give you instead of money.)

So that said, I still heartily endorse this. The movie turned out really well. It's a tight little thriller with some nice performances and some trippy twists. It just works.

Well? What are you waiting for?

Go buy yourself a copy, dammit!


Till next we meet ...

No comments:

Post a Comment